Monday 20 February 2017

Inquiry 2017: How to make basic facts more basic (easier to learn)!


After analysing the maths data I received from students' JAM results in 2016, it was evident that basic facts would be an area that a majority of the students needed work on. Last year I struggled with teaching students basic facts as I knew that  many students were still grasping the basic idea of numbers and what they represent. Although in saying that we had begun teaching students basic addition with small numbers so technically teaching quick fire addition and subtraction facts is very similar. Over the next week, I plan to look into some literature and ask colleagues in the junior school how they approach basic facts in year 1 and 2, so that I can create an action plan for my teaching inquiry this year. Watch this space!

Figure 1: Student data from 2016 JAM:

3 comments:

  1. I am sure you will come up with a fun way to help your students acquire their basic facts. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenni! Will be sure to ask around for some tips and tricks :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great place to start. I'm sure your Inquiry will benefit many...The kids were loving the skip counting clip that they were interacting with the other day!

    ReplyDelete